The Hollandstellung comprised a defensive line of 411 bunkers, which was constructed by the Germans in 1916 and was designed to repulse an allied attack from neutral Holland. This never occurred. The Hollandstellung was constructed between Knokke located at the coast and Antwerp in the east. The western part was built by the Marinekorps flandern, while the eastern part was built by the regular infantry. Reinforced concrete was used for the first time by the Marinekorps to construct bunkers. As no fighting occurred here the majority of the bunkers has survived and is remarkably well preserved. The western part of the Holland stulling comprised several strongpoints along the Belgian-Dutch border. These were integrated into dykes or existing defensive works originating from The Dutch revolt (the war between The Netherlands and Spain 1568-1648).